Thursday 16 May 2013

Under the spotlight with... Nathan Elder!

Under the spotlight is back and this time I've been speaking with the Fleet's number nine, Nathan Elder. Signing for the Fleet at the beginning of last season as a replacement for Calum Willock, Nathan quickly made himself at home at Stonebridge Road and was the Fleet's top scorer for the season with 15 League goals. It's been a season of ups and downs at the Fleet this year, but one thing we can all agree on is that whenever he played, Nath always gave 100%!

Nathan Elder
Date of Birth: April 5, 1985
Position: Striker
Current Club: Ebbsfleet United
Former Clubs: Hereford United, Hayes and Yeading United, Brentford, Brighton and Hove Albion, Shrewsbury Town, AFC Wimbledon, Billericay.




What was your first footballing memory? Was it always something you wanted to do, or were there other dreams?

First memory is probably from my school days. We won every week an even had games where we hit double figures. Was just so much fun at a young age. Always been a dream but never thought I'd be able to make it.


Have you always been a striker? 

Na not always. Played in midfield at school an used to just tackle everyone lol. [Patrick] Viera was my hero

What is the best game that you have featured in? What made it so special? 

Best game was Brentford vs Bradford in 2008. We won 2-1 an I scored in the 92nd minute. Crowd went ballistic

Who has been the biggest influence in your life?

Sounds silly but it's my Mrs. Without her I'd have given up after my eye injury

The season just gone was quite disastrous for the Club. How was it for you on a personal level? 

On a personal level I've scored a few so was happy about that, but relegation an knowing I could've scored more is such a disappointment

Goals wise, it appears to have been your best season since your time at Brentford. Do you feel you have the confidence to push on and become a top striker in the Conference Premier? 

Yea confidence has grown a lot but I know I can do a lot better as well so I've set the bar now and need to eclipse it

You're son is a regular follower of yours at the Football, do we have a future goal machine in Little Elds?

Defo. My boy is a little bruza so watch this space lol

Who are the best players you've played with, and against?

Best player I've played with is probably Jordan Rhodes who's now at Blackburn. The guys finishing was unreal. Not sure about against though

You're remembered well from your time at Brentford. How do you look back on your time there? 

Loved every second of it. Learnt so so much there. Good and bad

End of the season; are you itching to get back onto the Football pitch or do you welcome the break?

I welcome the break for about a week am then I want to get my boots back on

What's the best advice you've received, and who was it from? 

Best advice was from my old Brighton manager Dean Wilkins. "If you don't work hard off the pitch, you'll be full of missed opportunities and regrets on the pitch"

You're the manager of a five-a-side team and have to pick one player from each of the top five (English) leagues. Who would you choose and why?

Great question. Juan Mata (midfielder - Chelsea - prem), Glenn Murray (striker - Palace - champ), Matt Ritchie (midfielder - Swindon - now at Bournemouth L1), Lewis Neal (goalkeeper - Port Vale L2), Jake Howells (midfielder - Luton - conference prem)

Who are your best friends in Football? 

Best pals are alot of ex team mates but in particular my mate David Cornell who's a goalkeeper for Swansea

What's the best goal you've scored, and why? 

Best goal was Brighton vs Cheltenham on my first full debut. Header from just outside the box to the top corner. I went mental after it hit the net lol

Do you have any regrets in your footballing career? 

Loads but just wish I worker harder when I played for Shrewsbury as who knows where I'd be now

When you move on, how will you look back on your time at EUFC?

Every club I've played at has been a lesson weather its good or bad so I'll learn from my time at EUFC just the same

Who is the best manager you've played under?

For me it was Andy Scott [Brentford] as he gave me a real chance and a lot of advice

Was it tough making the transition from full-time to part-time?

Huge transition. You take full time football for granted until its gone. If I went back into full time I'd basically live at the training ground improving myself

Everbody's aware of the situation at the Fleet at the moment, do you have another job outside of the Football that is perhaps helping you through it? 

Yea it's helping me through it and if I didn't have it my family would be in a terrible position to be honest

The players were aware of the situation [i.e - not being paid], how much of an effect did this have on the dressing room? 

Not a good one [situation] but we can't have excuses about the way we ended the season

Who is the toughest defender you've come up against?

Toughest defender was probably Adam El-Abd at Brighton. He used to make me look like a mug in training cause he was just so bloody strong

Liam Daish is one of the most well respected managers in the lower leagues. What sort of a manager would you say he is, and how have you found it playing under him?

He's a manager you don't mess with. Knows what he wants and have drive. Enjoyed playing under him, just wish the season went better

Finally, sum up your career in one word

.......Unfinished


No comments:

Post a Comment