Thursday 25 July 2013

Under the spotlight with... Anthony Cook!

After waving to the Dartford fans on Tuesday evening, new winger Anthony Cook took the time out to answer some questions I had for him. Still only 23 years of age, the youngster has plenty to give in the footballing pyramid and his ambitions to climb up could be met as the Fleet look to progress up the ladder too. After starting late in football, Cook has enjoyed the best spell of his short career at Chelmsford City, and will look to enjoy an even better spell at the Fleet. Here's what he had to say:


What was your first footballing memory?

I remember watching Trevor Sinclair score one hell of a bicycle kick... Now that I look back, it's probably why I'm always attempting them!

Who would you say has been the biggest influence in your life and career?

I would have to say my dad because he has always supported my career, and always gives his honest opinion, but I am surrounded by many positive people that in turn, makes me positive about life.

You're the manager of a 5-a-side team and have to pick one player from each of the top five (English) divisions. Who do you choose?

Gareth Bale – Tottenham
Adel Taraabt – QPR
Magnes Okuonghae – Colchester United
Reice Charles-Cook – Bury
Anthony Acheampong – Barnet

What do you like to do outside of football? Has it always been your dream to be a footballer?

With whatever spare time I get, I like to just spend time with friends and family and enjoy life. I have a big family so most of the little spare time I have is taken up by them. As a kid watching football, I think it's every little boys dream to play football and actually earn from doing something you love, but I didn't think it was a realistic goal until I was 16 because I never had the opportunity to take it seriously until late.

Favourite food, artist, holiday destination and sport other than football?

Food – BBQ Jerk Chicken, Rice and Peas, Macaroni Cheese and Coleslaw (if you know, you know).
Artist – Drake
Holiday – Florida
Sport – Boxing

You had a lengthy spell at Chelmsford, how do you look back on your time there?

I had a wonderful time at Chelmsford. The fans at the club were amazing, and the club I feel is a non-league sleeping giant with huge potential. However, I was very unfortunate in two serious injuries but the gaffer [Glenn Pennyfather] was an amazing guy and had faith in me knowing I would return. I wish nothing but success for the club and hope they do well next season; just not as well as the Fleet!

Who are your best mates in football?

Magnus Okuonghae – Colchester
Ricky Modester – Dover
Aiden Palmer – Ebbsfleet
Kenny Clark – Dartford (please don't kill me)

What's the best piece of advice you've received, and who was it from?

Make every decision for yourself. Never look back and have regrets because you made somebody else make a decision for you. That was from my grandma who sadly passed away in 2012 (RIP), but this piece of advice helps me on a day-to-day basis.


What is the best match you've played in?


Hands down it has to be the FA Cup replay last season in a 4-4 draw [v East Thurrock United] and we won on penalties, which set up a tie with Colchester United. I think it was a game where you would only have believed it if you were there, we could have played until the Thursday and still not found a winner. I'm sure if there are football gods, they wrote the script. I don't think anyone who played in the game could believe what was happening, there couldn't have been a more crazy game. They went 1-0 up but we pulled it back and made it 2-1 only for them to score in the last minute to make it 2-2. They went 3-2 up but once again, we pulled it out of the bag and made it 4-3. When it really mattered they produced a 'worldie' to make it 4-4 in the last minute of extra-time! We won 5-4 on penalties. There was only one word for the game – 'nuts'.


Who are the best players you've played with and against?

With – Aaron Ramsey – You could always see he would be a great talent.

Against – Jason Puncheon – Not surprised to see him fly up the leagues. Absolutely frightening ability.







Ebbsfleet United – what attracted you to the Club?

It has to be the interest Steve Brown showed. I had many other options but I spoke to Browny and Daryl McMahon at least three times a week and they were always monitoring my situation, and also come to see me play a friendly for Colchester. I've played with a lot of the players at the club and played against them too, so seeing the good players signed so far signals the intent of the club for me. The club is ambitious and successful which matches my outlook on football, and life. Exciting times are ahead for the club, and I hope that my stay is a successful one.


Steve Brown has been a fan of yours for a while. When your trial at Colchester didn't work out, was you always looking at signing for the Fleet?

The situation at Colchester I went with an open mind. I knew that the Gaffer knew me and has seen me play first hand a number of times including when we beat Colchester at Chelmsford. Unfortunately it was the right place at the right time and because of my current situation, nothing could be sorted. So I decided to stay part-time and after the interest showed from Browny, there was only one place I was going to sign.

Fleet fans who made the trip to Dartford for the friendly will love you for your reaction to the Darts fans after being subbed. What was the situation there? Do you thrive on the jeers from opposition fans?

Those who know me know that I play with my heart on my sleeve. I don't mind the jeering from the opposition fans at all, it makes me want to do something to silence them, and when that happens it's so sweet. This is one of the things I love about football.

What are your personal aims for the coming season?

Well I'm an attacking midfielder who loves to score and create goals, so I have set myself a goal target which I will keep to myself at this stage, but I also plan to create as many, if not more, than I score.

Do you have any regrets in your career?

I wouldn't say that I have any regrets in my career. I like to see everything as an experience and I try to learn from everything that may have gone wrong in the past, so I have no regrets; always a lesson to be learnt.

What are you most looking forward to this season?

It has to be getting the season under way. After a while, pre-season can begin to drag and you just want to play competitively, so August 17 against Havant is what I'm looking forward to and getting the game started.

'Football Icon'. For those who aren't aware, tell us about your time on the Sky1 reality show and how it helped you progress.

Football Icon is what made me start taking football seriously. It put me in my first football environment and made me realise that I could have a career in football. I was playing in goal for my school until year 11, and just messing about with my brothers team on a Sunday and not taking it too serious at all. I got into the game quite late really, but Football Icon helped me develop very quickly being coached and advised by people like Eddie Newton, Brendan Rodgers and Jamie Redknapp.

What's the most memorable goal you've scored?

It has to be either the winning penalty in that crazy FA Cup game previously mentioned, or the Trevor Sinclair style scissor kick that flew into the top corner for Chelmsford against Boreham Wood last season.

Finally, sum up your career so far in one word...

Eventful.



1 comment: