Monday 22 April 2013

Preston Edwards; the greatest Fleet keeper?


Friday 01 January, 2010. The venue was Grays Athletic's Recreation Ground and it was just seven minutes into the match when the Fleet first got on the scoresheet. An audacious Peter Holmes attempt from just in front of the halfway line managed to lob goalkeeper Preston Edwards. For the 400 or so Fleet fans who had made the short trip over to Essex, it would have been a shock to see Edwards trial out for the Fleet the very next pre-season and an even bigger shock to see him sign for the Club.

I spoke to Preston that pre-season at half-time during his first trial match at Aveley and I remember him saying how torturous his time at Grays was and how he was looking forward to playing for the Fleet and, more importantly, under Liam Daish. The young shot stopper certainly had gloves to fill, as Lance Cronin had left to join nearby Gillingham after four years with the Fleet. Originally joining when the Club was Gravesend and Northfleet, he'd joined as cover for the injured Craig Holloway. He soon made the number one spot his own and reached 200 games for the Fleet in two different spells (one on loan while Preston was injured), so it was probably an understatement to say he had a lot to live up to!
Preston holds on to a shot

Preston has spent three seasons with the Fleet and despite being one of the younger fans, I probably speak on behalf of all Fleet fans when I say he is possibly one of the best goalkeepers we have ever had. The end of his first season with us was not only a great time for himself, but excellent for the Club as a whole. After relegation from the Conference Premier the club bounced back at the first time of asking and Preston was a key part in that campaign. Preston was unable to play a part in the two-legged semi-final against Chelmsford, but young Daren Hawkes stepped in brilliantly in his absence. Edwards was back for the final and the rest, as they say, is history. In front of 2,158 Fleet fans at Farnborough's Rushmoor Stadium, the Fleet ran out 4-2 winners to gain promotion at the first attempt. It was a fantastic day all round.


To enjoy the good times, you have to appreciate the bad times too, and this season has certainly been a massive low for everyone involved with Ebbsfleet United Football Club, but one thing we can all say about our number one is that he has been the rock. He's made some blinding saves that have kept us in matches, including two excellent late penalty stops in matches. First one away at Telford. After drawing level, Patrick Ada had given away a late penalty which Edwards expertly saved to deny Steve Jones a hattrick and, more importantly, gave the Fleet a point. The second one was slightly better in my opinion. The last kick of the match was a Newport penalty. The scores were tied at 1-1 and up stepped Andy Sandell who, like Jones, failed to put the ball past the keeper. At that point, Preston had saved five out of the last eight penalties. Of course, with every low comes a high, and the match where Ebbsfleet were officially relegated (Telford at home), Preston received three end of season awards including the Fans Players of the Season.

You have the highs, you have the lows, and then you have the completely out of the ordinary. February 5, 2011 was the day Preston became an internet sensation for his sending off in a home match against Farnborough. After being charged down from kick-off, young left back Ryan Blake sold Preston short with his back pass and Farnborough striker Kezie Ibe was on hand to poach. Unfortunately for him, the quick goalkeeper was there to take him down in the area. The referee was quick to go to his back pocket and produce the red card, timed at just ten seconds into the match! Although annoyed with himself at first, it's now a laughing matter for Preston. If that's what it takes for people to remember him, then so be it. We'll always remember him as one of the greatest goalkeepers to pull on a Fleet shirt. Preston's hard work and commitment was rewarded towards the end of this season when he was handed the captain's armband in the absence of Paul Lorraine.



In his three seasons here, Preston has made over 100 starts, and the Fleet are a Club who will forever be in his Heart. Preston also was rewarded by being called up to the England C squad. He twice received the Man of the Match award for excellent performances against Portugal U23 and Turkey U23 sides. I think we can all agree this this season was Preston's last for the Fleet, and wherever he ends up, we hope he gets only the best. I'm sure it won't be long before Preston is playing regularly in the Football League and he deserves every bit of success he gets. Thanks for everything Preston, and all the best in the future!

Before I go, I'd like to leave you with a little something that Preston has wrote himself.

"Dear Ebbsfleet United

I think it's important to know , that next season I will be looking elsewhere to continue my football career. I do not know which football club that my journey will take me on. 
I have had the most important and most memorable three years of my career at Ebbsfleet United. I will always cherish these moments because they make me smile. I have met some wonderful people during my time here and made some great friends along the way. 

I've had many ups and downs during my three years here but I take the downs as a positive and learn from them. I became the fastest goalkeeper to be sent off (10 secs). At first I was really annoyed and embarrassed by it. In a weird way, I like it now because people can remember me by it.
The play off final day is the proudest moment I've had in an Ebbsfleet shirt. We worked so hard that season to achieve it and to do it in the manner we did was so satisfying. 

A great achievement for us was to stay up the following season and we did that with flying colours. Teams have a massive advantage being full time and us being Part time it was difficult. Something I feel that got the better of us in the 2012/13 season. 

I was proud to achieve my Player of the year awards as it means so much to me. I'm proud to captain the side on a few occasions and take on that extra responsibility.­ I'm also proud of representing the England C side. I have a duty to do well there as I am representing Ebbsfleet as a club.

I was down on my knees when I first joined from Grays Athletic. I had a terrible season there and it was the only club that gave me a chance. I know there was doubts when I first joined and people put question marks on my head. It was the first time in my life, I doubted my own ability and suffered from confidence (issues). I soon realised that this is a massive part of your football career and you should never doubt yourself. Always be strong and prove people wrong. 

Someone who believed in me and I couldn't ask for someone more honest and loyal is Mr Liam Daish. He stuck by me when the easy thing to say is 'your not for me'. I couldn't thank him enough for giving me the opportunity to do something I Love doing and play football every week. Ron Hillyard my goalkeeping coach, who has made me the 100x times better goalkeeper I was before I first joined. He worked me hard every training session and I learnt so much. Paul McCarthy the assistant manager who gave me guidance on how to set our team up in certain situations. 

My team mates who have been there along with me. I've had so many funny moments and met some real characters. 
There are many people that I need to say thank you too. I could go on for ages! However, a massive thank you goes out to all you fleet fans who stick by your side no matter what and travel the country to see your beloved side. I hope you get whatever is best for the club. As you deserve it and I know how much the club means to you. I see that passion every week! 

Our paths will cross again and I have loved every minute of my time here.

Never forget. Forever in my heart.

Preston Edwards"

No comments:

Post a Comment