Sunday 14 April 2013

Under the spotlight with... Mark Ricketts!

After a considerable amount of time out, Under the Spotlight is back, and former Fleet fan favourite Mark Ricketts was happy to answer a few questions! I'd like to thank Mark for contributing to The Fleet Adventures. After leaving the Fleet in 2009, Mark joined Woking and has been there since. An established member of the Woking team (now captain I believe) Mark has gone on to become a firm fan favourite there too. Outside of Football, Mark is a personal trainer and has recently become a father after his wife gave birth to a little girl in the early hours of Sunday (14 April) morning. I'd like to congratulate them both, and I am sure many other Fleet and Woking fans will echo the same thoughts.

Mark Ricketts
Date of Birth: 07/10/84
Place of Birth: Sidcup
Position: Defender/Midfielder
Current Club: Woking FC
Former Clubs: Charlton Athletic, Milton Keynes Dons, Ebbsfleet.


What was your first footballing memory? My first memory is playing in the back garden with my dad as a kid, taking shots at him in a little goal I had.

You've had long spells at your present club, and your previous club. What is it about the clubs that have made you stay? I've just found myself to be very happy at both these clubs from the moment I arrived. They are both very family orientated and have good fan bases. I think its also a lot to do with the players in the team as well, as at both clubs we've always had a good bunch of ambitious lads.

Who are your friends in football? I've got quite a few friends in football now as I've been playing for quite a while. My closest pals are Neil Barrett, Dean Pooley and Stacy Long all of which I was lucky enough to play in the same team as when at Ebbsfleet.

You've played frequently in both defence and midfield, what position would you say brings the best out of you? I would say my best position is midfield playing that defensive role. I would have liked to have played there a lot more during my time at Ebbsfleet.

You've had a bit of a tough time previously with knee, and leg injuries. Do you feel that you have come back stronger from these? Injuries can be a big test of character especially ones that put you out for a significant period of time. You can question yourself and whether you can get yourself right again but I've found this has definitely made me stronger and given me more self belief especially when you know some people may have doubted you and you prove them wrong.

Also, do you ever worry that your previous injuries could occur again and spell an early end to your career? Its not something you can worry about as a footballer as it might not even be a previous injury that can spell an early end to your career it could be a completely new injury so you just have to get on with it and enjoy every moment and give it your all every time you go out on the pitch.

What is the best advice that you have received, and who was it from? Tough question as there has been many positive influences in my career. My parents always wish me luck before a game and always say enjoy it and to be honest this is great advice as its a game after all and I'm lucky to be doing something I love and its very easy to get caught up in the stress of it all.

Liam Daish is one of the most well respected managers in the lower leagues. What do you think makes him so well liked and respected? He's played the game himself at a good level which I think gets him some respect but he has also achieved a lot in a relatively short time at Ebbsfleet in winning the trophy and getting promoted from the Conference South. This has all been done on what wasn't a massive budget compared to a lot of clubs in this league too.

Who would you say has been the biggest influence in your life? Deep! I would say my parents. They are both very laid back and just encourage me at everything I do and I think that rubs off on me. They've been there for me at every stage of my footballing life too whether it be driving me round the M25 3 times a week when I was 10 years old or supporting me in the stand on a Saturday now.

Your one and only goal for the Fleet was an absolute beauty, tell us about this.

This would be the Wrexham screamer you're alluding too! I was playing midfield in this game and it was my last season at Ebbsfleet. I picked the ball up in the middle of the pitch and managed to wriggle past a player or two before coming to the edge of the box and shifted it onto my left foot, I then just smashed it as best I could and it went top corner in off the bar. Thats how I remember it in my head anyway!

How did it feel not playing a part in the Fleet's victory at Wembley? I was gutted but it makes me hungrier to get there again.

Did the victory soften that blow of not playing? Maybe a little but it was a strange mix of emotions!

What is the best match that you've played in? There's been a few but we (Woking) played Brighton who at the time were top of League One in a replay at home in the FA Cup 1st round and that was one hell of a game taking them eventually to penalties where unfortunately we lost.

You have already had some memorable times as part of the Woking FC. What do you feel the club has to offer going into the near future? The club is very ambitious but also very well run and in this age of football stability and financial security are very important with so many clubs spending beyond their means. I think Woking can push on in this league and be very competitive in the top half but it has to be done sensibly and I think there are many exciting times ahead for the club.

How do you look back on your time at Ebbsfleet? Would you ever return to the club? I loved my time at the club, I made some very good friends and really enjoyed my time there being involved in such successful team. I would never rule out returning one day.

No English clubs in the Champions League Quarter Final for the first time in almost 20 years. What do you make of this? I think its just a blip to be honest I'd be surprised if it was the same next year.

Money is no object. Which Blue Square Bet Premier player would you have at Woking, and why? Neil Barrett, he's an honest, hard working player who wants to win and is very composed on the ball. Shame about his banter though!

After a match, what are the first results you look out for?  I tend to check how the teams my mates play for have got on (Ebbsfleet, AFC Wimbledon, Margate etc)

Who is the best player in the World right now? Messi
Ricko in action for Woking

The current Woking squad. Who's the joker? Aaron Howe, The brainiac? Definitely me! The loudest? Joe Mac [Joe McNerney] grunting before a game in the showers (Odd Guy!!) The quickest? Me/Bubbsy 

Who are the best players you've played with, and against? Di Canio and Scott Parker were pretty good to play with. Against… Van Persie maybe

Do you have any regrets in your footballing career? Not staying longer at MK Dons when I was on loan there

Was being a footballer always your dream, or was there something else? Nope that was always my dream

Finally, sum up your career so far in one word. Rollercoaster

Once again, I'd like to thank Mark for contributing to my Blog. You can follow him on Twitter at: @Ricko707




No comments:

Post a Comment