Thursday 20 June 2013

Under the spotlight with... Craig Stone!

Craig Stone ended his five year on and off spell with Ebbsfleet United this month as he joined Conference South rivals Dover Athletic. Craig didn't hang around to see if the new management at Stonebridge Road wanted him to stay or not. He was delighted to sign up at Crabble. The midfielder who adapted to play right back has been through it all with the Fleet; A broken leg, promotion, and relegation. Stone made over 100 appearances for the Fleet and will be fondly remembered by all fans. He joins Chris Kinnear at Dover as he looks to rebuild his side that has been torn apart this pre-season. Stone has recently been joined by former Brentford and Ebbsfleet team-mate Nathan Elder. 

I caught up with Craig this week, and he was happy to answer some questions that I had for him. 


What was your first footballing memory? My first football memory was when I was about 8 and I was playing for Cobham Colts and I scored for my team from the half way line! I still have the video of that now.
Who are your friends in football? I have a few friends in football. I have of course gained a lot of friends since I have been at Ebbsfleet. There are a few lads I have played in the same team as for the past 4 seasons that I class as friends. Andy Pugh is another good friend of mine that I grew up with in Gillinghams youth team that I still speak to regularly. There are numerous players however that I still speak to every so often.
Originally a midfielder, now playing right back, what position do you feel brings the best out of you? I am happy and comfortable in playing both Right back and Centre midfield. I feel I can do a good job in either. It is where the manager at the time wants to play me.
If you wasn't playing football, what would you be doing? If I wasn't currently playing football I would likely still be doing what I am doing now and that is PE teaching.
What is the best match you have played in? The best match I have played in I would have to say is the promotion (Farnborough 2-4 Ebbsfleet) final for various reasons.
Favourite: Holiday destination, Sport other than football, and food? My favourite holiday destination is Turkey. My favourite food is something spicy. My favourite sport other than football is Gymnastics as my little girl is very talented at this so it gets me involved a lot in it.
What is the best advice you've recieved and who was it from? The best advice I was given was don't treat football as if its the only thing in the world. Be relaxed.
What was your reaction when you'd heard the news of Liam Daish leaving the Fleet? When Liam Daish got the sack, I was surprised but not shocked as with new takeovers brings new changes and the first thing someone coming in new to the club would change is the manager. The gaffer as I was had also been there a very long time so I could sense that things were going to change.
Who do you feel has been the biggest influence in your life? Many members of my family are the biggest influence on my life for various reasons of course. Liam Daish has been one of the biggest influences on my career along with my family also.
You left Stonebridge Road after being there on and off for five years. Was it a tough decision or one that you was thinking about since the season ended? It is always a tough decision leaving a club you had been at for so long. However I did make my mind up pretty quickly as I didn't feel wanted at all by the new owners of the club which was fair enough. Dover were extremely keen and that is what made the decision a lot easier for me.
On that move; Dover Athletic. What are your opinions on them as a Club, and how do you think you'll fare in the coming season? Dover are a massive non league club. In my opinion a club that should be in the Premier and I am very happy and very much looking forward to playing there next season. It is still local to me and a local club I want to have success at. I am very confident we will be successful at Dover too. With Chris there, who is a winner and knows everything you need to know about non league I think we will do very well.
What are you most looking forward to about the new season? I am most looking forward to playing for a new club, seeing new faces, playing under a different management team, arriving and training at different places. Generally the things that come with playing for a new club.

Finally, sum up your career so far in one word. How I would sum my career up so far would be 'steady'.

A big thank you to Craig for contributing to my Blog, and we wish him all the very best with his new club... Except when he plays against the Fleet, of course! 



No comments:

Post a Comment