Thursday 31 January 2013

Fleet Fan File with Ryan Sadler

This weeks edition of Fan File I caught up with young 'Fleet fan Ryan Sadler, he tells us about his time following the 'Fleet so far! 
 
 
 
 
Name: Ryan Sadler (pictured to the side next to the legend that is Kenny Brooker).
Age: 16
From: Northfleet
Time supporting the 'Fleet: 7 Years


Do you remember your first EUFC game? Who was it against, and what was the score? 

Gravesend and Northfleet vs Canvey Island 2002 - I think we lost 1-0 but to me as a 6 year old the score didn't really mean anything. My dad was left to look after me so dragged me along to the game. I remember having to queue on Stonebridge Road hill surrounded by hundreds of 'Fleet fans. The crowd was reportedly around 6000, which to a small child like me seemed millions. The atmosphere was electric but unfortunately I didn't attend again until 5 years later! Despite nagging my dad most weeks.

You're a regular 'Fleet fan. What was the 'hook' for you?

At first it was just something to do on a Saturday, got me out the house. The real hook was probably the fans, I made a few friends and this gave me a reason to keep going back. The football then started to play a part in my reasoning. I was part of 'The Fleet Lounge' for 2 seasons as well which helped to keep me hooked. ?

Who is your favourite 'Fleet player that you've seen play, and why?

Paul McCarthy - He was such a solid defender who played with passion, the club captain that lead by example. Read the game excellently, always knew what was going to happen and stopped it. Also towards the end of his regular playing days, he was getting older and had some injury problems but still put 110% into everything, now has the thoroughly deserves assistant managers role, a true club legend.

What are your top three 'Fleet games?

Forest Green Rovers 1-4 Ebbsfleet 2008 -
It was my first away game following the Fleet, we won 4-1. I didn't know what to expect on the morning of the trip but it was on I'll never forget, a great game and a brilliant day out. The highlight for me was Kwesi Appiah coming on as a sub and scoring with his first touch (a header from a corner).

Crewe Alexandra 1-0 Ebbsfleet 2008 -
The 1st round of the FA Cup away to a league 1 team, something which everyone was excited for. With a few hundred other Fleet fans making the trip the atmosphere was brilliant, the game itself was very close and in my opinion we deserved nothing less than a replay. A highlight was Clayton Donaldson losing his rag and pulling a 'mooney' to the travelling fans. It was the first time I'd used the Fleet Trust travel, on a coach full of excited fans!

Chelmsford 1-4 Ebbsfleet 2011 -
The first leg of our play-off semi final, everyone was nervous about this match especially knowing we was without Preston Edwards but what a game it turned out to be. The team showed exactly why they deserved to be in the final and gave every travelling fan their moneys worth sending us all into the second leg with a lot of confidence. We dominated the game and got a much better result than most expected. The best part however for me was the atmosphere, non-stop singing throughout the match followed by celebrations in the carpark for a good half an hour after the game. Amazing night out, starting our return to the premier division.

And your worst three?


Redbridge 2-0 Ebbsfleet -
It was a game in which many expected us to win, the magic of the FA Cup struck in Redbridge's favour. It was a dreadful performance and resulted in us being knocked out the competition. A very 'dull' day out.

Oxford 5-1 Ebbsfleet -
The worst results for me often a high scoreline and being completely outplayed. This match included both of them factors. I remember being freezing cold and just waiting for the final whistle, when your looking forward to the end, you know its been a bad day at the office!

Barrow 2-0 Ebbsfleet -
After the very long journey to the game it was always going to be a long day, but when Gavin Heeroo was sent off it seemed it may be a lot longer than I expected, despite lasting 75 minutes level we ended up losing 2-0, the journey home seemed a lot longer than the journey there.

Your favourite 'Fleet goal. Where, when and why?
 
My favourite goal would have to be Ricky Shakes' neat lob in the play-off final at Farnborough, the finish itself was expertly taken but the play leading to it was what made it so special. The ball that Westy played through was out of this world, the goal obviously meant a lot as well which makes it my favourite to have witnessed. A close second would be Liam Enver-Marum at Kidderminster.

What is the best ground you've been to supporting the 'Fleet?

Darlington's Echo Arena - out of this world.

And the worst?

Hampton and Richmond's Beveree Stadium - No character!

Outside of the 'Fleet, what is the best match you've attended?

My first ever football game - Charlton Athletic 3-1 Aston Villa.

Name your Fleet XI from players you've seen play:

GK - Preston Edwards
RB - Mark Ricketts
CB - Paul Lorraine
CB - Paul McCarthy
LB - Derek Duncan
RM - Michael West
CM - Ashley Carew
CM - Michael Bostwick
LM - Peter Holmes
CF - Luke Moore
CF - Magno Vieira

No comments:

Post a Comment