Wednesday 23 January 2013

Under the spotlight with... Preston Edwards.

This week I was thinking of a blog to do outside of match previews and round ups and I thought it'd be good to get some questions in for Ebbsfleet 'keeper Preston Edwards to answer about his career so far to gather up his thoughts on a few things. Of course he was happy to contribute. The 23 year old is in his third season with the 'Fleet and is looking to help the club out of the predicament they find themselves in. Of course, many thanks to Preston for contributing, here's what he had to say.






You were a junior runner. Why did you give this up, and how did you get into football?

I was a 400m runner and I was at one stage the second fastest person at 17. I had to be realistic. There is not much money in athletics, unless you are right at the top and I was fast enough to compete against the big boys. Football is ten times better anyway!

What was your first footballing memory?

My first footballing memory is when I went to my local team Enfield Spartans and I was told I was going in goal because I couldn't run. I was asthmatic and I was tubby back then. They probably made the right choice!

You first taste of success came whilst on loan at Dover Athletic - Promotion to the Conference South - tell me about that. (pictured to the side)

I really enjoyed it Dover. It was great being involved near the top end of the table and playing every week. I was only on the bench at millwall and it put some new confidence in me to play men's football!



You were released by Millwall and with that came possibly your worst spell in Football - Grays Athletic under Julian Dicks. What went wrong?

Millwall only offered me a one year deal and I wasn't going to play. So I thought the best thing to do was to play games and leave. Only team who offered me first team football at a good level was Grays. It was my worst form of my career and I was in and out of the team, but I don't look at it as a regret. Look at it as a learning curve and to learn from your mistakes, to come back stronger!

You signed for Ebbsfleet in pre-season of the 2010/11 season. What attracted you to the club?

Ebbsfleet always attracted me because it was run properly and always try and be professional at all times.

You were a key part in the 'Fleet's promotion season - what were your highlights of that season?



The highlights of the promotion season was winning 3-2 away at Chelmsford. We was 2nil down! And watching the boys maul Chelmsford again in the play off semi finals. I was so nervous watching it. I know how u fans feel now!





Saturday 5th February, 2011. That red card (pictured to the side).When you look back on it do you see it as a bad moment in your career or is it something you're able to have a bit of a laugh about?

I just laugh about it. Every programme mentions that I'm the fastest red card. I just have a lil giggle now. Haha


Daren Hawkes keeps out the Farnborough attack.




Play-Off final. After an excellent season, did you fear for you place in the squad at all after young Daren Hawkes performed so well over two legs against Chelmsford?

Daren played great over the two games and I was fortunate enough to get my place back. He played a big part in our success and I got to thank him for that. I did play all the season that year. So I would have been gutted if I didn't play!

You're currently playing under Liam Daish. What sort of a manager is he, and how much has he helped you over the past three seasons?

Liam Daish has been massive to my career. He has given me the opportunity to play week in, week out and enjoy my football. Ron Hilliyard [Goalkeeping Coach] has been massive for me also. He has seen Where my strengths and weaknesses are he works me very hard in training. I feel I have improved from these two during my time at the Fleet.

You've come on in leaps and bounds and will no doubt be playing in the Football-League soon. Will EUFC always hold a place in your heart?

Ebbsfleet will always hold a place in my heart. It's been the most successful part of my career and I will never forget that.

Who is the toughest striker you've come up against in your career?

The toughest striker I have come against in my time at Ebbsfleet is Paul Pogba. Ex Wrexham. I thought when he played against when we lost 5nil, he dominated us.

Michael West recently made the step up into the Football-League. Out of the current crop of players at the club, who do you feel is capable of playing at a higher level?

Many players can make the step up. If they believe in their ability and work harder.

What is the best game you've played in? Why was it so good?

The best game I've played in was AFC Wimbledon at home, when we lost in the last min of extra time. It had everything in the game and I made probaly my best save ever.

--- If I was to hazard a guess at the save, it would be the one in extra time to deny former 'Fleet striker Luke Moore. ---

 
1:50 onwards in the video.
Who do you deem to be the biggest influence in your life?
Biggest influence in my life is my dad. He gives me guidance and the truth of when things are going right and wrong. Always there for me!





Andre Gray scores for Luton

If there was any player from another BSBP club that you'd like to see at the 'Fleet, who would it be, and why?

I would like to see Andre Gray from Luton. I play with him at England C and he is so strong and quick. Not surprised that league clubs are looking at him.


Recently the 'Fleet have dropped to bottom in the table. How confident are you we can survive this season?

I've worked out that we need 26 points from 20 games. I am confident we can get out. We just need to turn performances into results. Cause the games start running out.
If you wasn't playing football - what would you be doing?

I do sports coaching in schools. So I would be doing that If I wasn't playin football.

Finally, sum your career so far up in one word.

HISTORIC...


Once again, a big thanks to Preston Edwards for taking the time to answer the questions. I hope you all enjoy it.

You can follow Preston on Twitter at @Preston_Eddy
You can also follow me at @JoeGlidewell



 
 

1 comment: