Friday 25 January 2013

Under the spotlight with...Gareth Gwillim.

After recently conducting a short interview with the 'Fleet goalkeeper Preston Edwards, I managed to catch up with new signing Gareth Gwillim. The full back signed this week after recently being released by Sutton United. A big thank you to Gareth for contributing to the Blog. Before I continue, here's a little bit about the defender.

Name - Gareth Gwillim
Date of Birth - 09.01.83
Place of Birth - Farnborough
Former Clubs - Crystal Palace, Farnborough Town, Bishop's Stortford, Histon, Dagenham and Redbridge, AFC Wimbledon, Sutton United.




You've been playing at Sutton United in the Conference South, how did you find that after a decent amount of games in League Two with AFC Wimbledon?

I had played in the Conference South with Bishops Stortford so knew many of the teams and surroundings, the pace and quality was not a million miles off league 2. As you can tell by the league table, every team was capable of beating any team on their day and the gap between top and bottom is remarkable. I expect it to go down to the wire in terms of relegations, play off positions and title winners.

You spent some time at Dagenham and Redbridge, only playing a handful of games for the club. What happened during your time there?
I would have joined Dagenham and Redbridge in December before when they were in league 1 but a bid was turned down by Histon as it was going to be paid in installments, rather than in full. I then joined once they had been promoted into league 1 and Histon agreed to let me join for free as they were going through financial difficulties. As normally happens with a promoted team, the management goes with the team that got him there and I couldnt break into the team for a prolonged period of time. I was always in the squad but only when the team wanted to see the game out I was put on, unfortunately that was few and far between and attacking substitutions were often made before defensive ones.

You won promotion to League Two with the Wombles - a true 'fans club' - what was it like playing for them, and how do you feel about the fans there?

I joined AFC Wimbledon at a great time, they were top of the league and the place was buzzing, the fans really took to me as I did to them, I joined on a crest of a wave and enjoyed getting them into the league and also keeping them in the league, whilst scoring my very first professional goal at the age of 28. Always something that I'll treasure.


What was your earliest footballing memory?
Playing for Orpington Rovers at the age of 8, the majority of the team were school friends and I still stay in contact with a few from that team.

Who would you say are the best wingers you've come up against?
One player in League 2 that did impress me was Graaban at Rotherham. At their ground, I can honestly say I came out on top and didnt know what the fuss was about, in the return fixture at home, the first 10 minutes he was electric, I truely didnt expect it but once I got to grips with him he phased out the game.

You worked under one of the most repescted lower league managers in Terry Brown, what sort of manager he is, and what makes him so well respected?
Terry is lovely fella who I can only thank for taking me on loan and then permanantly at AFC wimbledon as it was a remarkable time at the club. He did not renew my contract the following summer as he wanted to go for a player who was on double the amount I was and just got promotion, who he didn't end up getting. Although I didnt like the decision, it was an honest one.

Who do you deem to be the biggest influence in your life?
My Mum and Dad.

Most part-time players hold down a job outside of football to make ends meet. You, however, managed to hold down a job whilst playing full-time football. What was your job, and how did you find this situation?
I had worked nights for various companies on London Underground installing and commissioning PA and CCTV systems from the age of 20, I had opportunities at 22 and 23 to go full time with football but it wasnt financially viable. At the age of 27 I had a few seasons at the Blue Square Premier under my belt and thought that I could do both which Dagenham gave me the chance to do. Some players and clubs couldnt believe it could be done, I liked to prove them wrong. A lot more people do more than I do, I appreciate that footballs part of my life.

Who are your friends in football?
Matt Langston from Histon, Robbie Elliot currently Newcastle's number 2 and Rob Gillman who I was at Bishop's Stortford with.

What attracted you to Ebbsfleet United, and what are you most looking forward to in your time here?
Liam Daish is highly regarded at this level and you can tell he is a proper footballers manager, nothing but praise about him from people I had spoken to plus the opportunity to play in the Conference again. I have played at Ebbsfleet quite a few times in the past and has always been a good place to play. Looking forward to climbing up the table.

What is the best game you've played in?
Has to be the play off final between AFC Wimbledon and Luton Town at the Etihad. I played with a fractured hip under pain killers and lasted a hour, obviously the result went our way and the celebrations were electric

Do you have any regrets in your Footballing career?
Only ever missed one penalty in my career, away to Truro. at the time, we were 1-0 down, I smashed it against the post and it flew past me, all I kept thinking was 'you idiot', luckily we won 2-1 and was a better coach journey home than I expected.

What has been the greatest advice you've received in your career, and who did you receive it from?
John Beck gave me the knowledge of nutrition and fitness conditioning that I take with me everywhere, it has helped me go from conf south to league 1 in 2 years.

Finally, sum up your career in one word only.
Privileged


Once again a big thanks to Gareth for contributing. You can follow him on Twitter at @GSGwillim.

No comments:

Post a Comment